The details for this page reflect the 2021-2022 school year. Stay tuned for updates for the new school year!
2022-2023 Co-Chairs: Peter Wang and Zhifeng Sun
Snow Sports runs after school for six Wednesdays in January and February. Students can take the Snow Sports Bus from school or arrange their own ride to Alpental for Medina-exclusive ski or snowboard lessons.
Please submit your child's proof of COVID vaccination here by Jan. 5th (at least one dose by Dec. 15th). Vaccination is not required, but will be used for purposes of assigning bus seats.
RSVP for Snow sports
NOV. 9TH UPDATE: RVSPs are no longer being accepted.
Medina PTA is excited to announce the return of Snow Sports Bus (formerly Ski Bus). Please RSVP by Nov. 8th. Space is limited and first come first serve.
Want to learn more about Snow Sports?
Our Info Night was Wednesday, November 10th at 8pm. If you missed it, you can watch a recording or view the presentation slides:
Registration for the Bus and Ski/Snowboard Lessons Open:
- Wednesday, Nov. 24th if you RSVP'ed by the Nov. 8th deadline. You will receive an email with the registration links.
- Wednesday, Dec. 1st at 8:30am if you did not RSVP. First come, first served - spots fill fast!
The following registration links will activate for members only on Dec. 1st at 8:30am:
**In order to register for the bus or for lessons, you must agree to all Snow Sports policies (updated Wednesday, Nov. 24th).
Dates: Wednesdays: January 12, 19, 26, February 2, 9, and 16.
Where: Alpental base, The Summit at Snoqualmie. More details.
Transportation Options: There are two options for getting to Alpental for lessons:
- Snow Sports bus (grades 1-5 only). More details.
- Arranging your own transportation (all grades K-5). More details.
Who: Snow Sports activities organized through Medina PTA are for Medina Elementary students only whose parents are Medina PTA members. Lessons are for all Medina Elementary students K-5 at all ski/snowboard levels (first timers to advanced skiiers/snowboarders). Bus service is for grades 1-5 only.
When: (bus riders, see detailed schedule)
- 12:45pm - Snow Sports Bus departs Medina Elementary School
- 2:00pm-4:00pm - Ski or Snowboard Lessons at Alpental
- 6:00pm-6:30pm (estimate) - Snow Sports Bus arrives at Medina Elementary School
- Ski or snowboard lessons (to be paid directly to Alpental): $265
- Bus service (for Gr. 1-5 only):
- $250 per student.
- Sibling option: $200 per student if siblings sit together. Please note: if you have three children, the sibling discount only applies to the two children sitting together.
- Additional costs include: lift ticket (at a minimum, a Summit Remedy or L-T-D pass is needed), ski/snowboard equipment/rental, and ski/snowboard wear
Please read over this section carefully if your child will be riding the Snow Sports bus.
- before 7:50am or 8:10am to 12:00pm: Parents drop off Snow Sports gear to designated area. You must avoid school drop-off time, so DO NOT drop off equipment between 7:50am and 8:10am. Parents may also bring gear at school dismissal.
- 12:20pm: School Dismissal - Students put on boots and bring Snow Sports backpack on the bus.
- 12:30pm: Buses start loading, or sooner if possible
- 12:45pm: Roll call is taken and buses depart for Alpental
- 1:45pm: Buses arrive at Alpental
- 2:00pm-4:00pm: Ski/snowboard lessons
- 4:00pm: Gear loading and snack time
- 4:30pm: Roll call is taken and buses depart for Medina
- 5:30-6:30pm: Buses arrive at Medina Elementary (depending on road conditions). Parents are expected to be ready and pick up students anytime between this hour. An email will be sent when buses depart Alpental (around 90 minutes before pickup) and at exit 90 to Bellevue Way (around 10 minutes before pickup). Parents should be waiting at the school by the time the bus arrives. Repeated late pickup will result in cancellation of bus ride without refund. We need you to be ready to help unload the equipment.
Dropping Off Equipment
You can drop off your child's equipment on Wednesday mornings before 7:50am or between 8:10am and noon. You must avoid school drop off time (7:50am-8:10am)!
- Please drop off your child's skis, poles (if needed), or snowboards on the lawn at the front of the school (see pic below).
- Ski/snowboard boots may be dropped off under the tent (see pic below).
- Students should bring ski/snowboard clothing inside to their classroom in the morning, so they can change inside the school before the school closes after dismissal. Students may not go back into the school building after dismissal once they have exited. If parents bring clothing to dismissal, students will need to change in the parent's car.
- NOTE: Ski and snowboard equipment will not be allowed on the regular morning school bus - you must arrange to bring your child's equipment to/from school on ski/snowboard days.
Getting Dressed and Ready
At 12:20pm, your child will change into their ski/snowboard clothes in the school bathrooms. If your child needs help, please meet your child outside and help them change in your car. All bus riders need to be line up before buses depart by 12:45pm.
- Please have your child's ski pass on their jackets or a lanyard so we can check for the pass as they board the bus. They must have their ski bus and helmet in order to board the bus.
- Please pack your child a hearty snack and water. They cannot eat the snack on the bus, but will have snack time at 4pm after the ski/snowboard lessons end.
- NOTE: Your child cannot bring their school backpack on the Snow Sports bus. If you are not able to meet your child, please make arrangements to have someone else take the backpack.
Please read this section carefully if you will be providing your own transportation for your child to Alpental.
Getting Dressed and Ready
Your child should be changed and ready to ski/snowboard at 12:45pm when the buses arrive. Your child can change before you depart for Alpental or in the car after you park at Alpental. Please double check that your child has their ski pass on their jackets or on a lanyard before you drop them off with their instructor.
Alpental Base: The Summit at Snoqualmie has four bases- please make sure to head to Alpental base unless otherwise directed. Occasionally, lessons may be moved to a different base if conditions at Alpental are poor, so please check your email on the day of lessons to ensure you meet at the right location.
Parking: Please park in Alpental Lot #3 (see pic below). To get to Lot #3, drive past the main Alpental parking lot, all of the chair lifts, and Lot #10 where the Snow Sports buses will unload and park. Lot #3 is the parking lot immediately after Lot #10.
Lessons Location: Lessons begin near Lot #10 where the buses park. Please meet your instructor before 2:00pm at your assigned location between the magic carpet and the St. Bernard chair lift. If you do not know your assigned location, please ask when you arrive on the first day of lessons.
You need all of the following equipment with you for ski or snowboard lessons:
- Ski Pass – attached to jacket (must have to board the bus!)
- Ski Jacket, helmet (must have a helmet), goggles
- Ski Gloves or Mittens and hand warmers, sweater, long underwear
- Ski Socks (well fitting, wool is great)
- Ski/Snowboard Pants
- Ski/Snowboard boots, skis/poles (if needed)/snowboards - please make sure all equipment fits well.
VERY IMPORTANT: Please check all clothing and equipment for proper fit and function prior to the first lesson. A “dry run” will insure that your child’s first day goes smoothly! Also, it’s a good idea to label every piece of equipment with a name and phone number - we always have so many gloves, goggles, poles, hats, etc. - after every trip...
Because children grow out of equipment quickly, we recommend renting ski/snowboard equipment. Medina PTA does not endorse any particular rental company. However, the closest rental location is Ski Mart in Bellevue: https://www.christysports.com/store-locations/ski-mart-bellevue.html
- Masks: Masks are required at all times on the Snow Sports bus and during ski/snowboarding lessons
- Food: No food allowed on the Snow Sports bus. An outdoor snack time will be provided after ski/snowboard lessons at 4:00pm.
- Assigned Seating: Seats will be assigned on the bus. Two students per row (one on each side of the aisle), except for siblings who choose to sit next to each other.
- COVID Vaccinations: Vaccination is not required, but seating on the Snow Sports bus will be assigned based on vaccination status and parent comfort level with having their vaccinated children sit with unvaccinated children. If you are vaccinating your child, please submit proof by January 5th (at least one dose) here.
Updated: Wednesday, Nov. 24th
ELIGIBILITY: Our afterschool clubs (including Snow Sports) are ONLY for CURRENT-ENROLLED Medina Elementary students with ACTIVE Medina PTA membership. You must be enrolled with Medina Elementary school at the time of attending the club and have a valid Medina PTA family or individual membership for the 2021-2022 school year. You agree that if your kid is not currently enrolled with Medina Elementary school OR you do not purchase PTA membership by December 17th, your child will be withdrawn from Snow Sports immediately with no refund.
REFUND: There are no refunds once payment is received.
BEHAVIOR: Parents and students are expected to behave respectfully to each other, the Snow Sports chaperones and volunteers, The Summit at Snoqualmie instructors, and anyone associated with Medina PTA and The Summit at Snoqualmie. If we feel you or your student’s behavior is disruptive, or you or your student are consistently disrespectful, we reserve the right to withdraw your student (after sufficient warnings) with no refunds.
PUNCTUAL DROP OFF: You must board the bus on time (for bus riders) or arrive on time for lessons (if you drive on your own). Bus departure and lessons will begin as scheduled, and if you are late, they will not wait for you. You understand that if you miss a day of Snow Sports due to your tardiness, this missed day will not be made up or refunded.
PUNCTUAL PICK UP: If your child rides the bus, you must be ready to pick up your child anytime between 5:30pm and 6:30pm. To help you plan your arrival, you will receive an email when the bus leaves Alpental and when the bus exits I-90 onto Bellevue Way. Please respect our volunteers’ time by picking your child up promptly when the Snow Sports Bus returns to Medina Elementary. Our parent chaperones are required to stay until the last child is picked up.
If you drive on your own, you must be ready to pick up your child from Alpental promptly when lessons end at the designated meeting spot.
If you pick up your child late more than once, we reserve the right to withdraw your child from Snow Sports with no refunds.
SAFETY: You agree to follow, and instruct your child to follow, all Bellevue School District, Medina Elementary, Medina PTA and The Summit at Snoqualmie safety protocols, including hand hygiene, assigned seating, distancing, masking, and staying home when sick. In particular, please note:
- Masks must be worn at all times on the bus and during lessons
- Students must remain in their assigned seats when on the bus
If you or your child do not follow safety protocols, we reserve the right to withdraw your child (with sufficient warnings) with no refunds.
ABSENCES: If your child will not be at Snow Sports (on the bus or at the lessons), you must email email@example.com prior to 11am on that Snow Sports day. You understand that two unexcused absences may result in removal of your student from the club without refund.
Directions: Click on the question to view the answer. You must click on the TEXT, not the surrounding colored box.
The choice of renting or buying ski/snowboard equipment is up to you, but we recommend renting because children outgrow their gear quickly. Medina PTA does not endorse any particular rental company. However, the closest rental location is Ski Mart in Bellevue: https://www.christysports.com/store-locations/ski-mart-bellevue.html
There are three types of season passes for ages 7+: Unlimited, LTD, and Remedy. All three types give you access to the Alpental lifts during our Wednesday afternoon lessons. Please note: Unlimited and LTD are sold out for this season.
For children under 7, you can purchase a Child season pass.
Please view season pass options here: https://summitatsnoqualmie.com/season-passes
Students are grouped by both age and ski/snowboard ability.
When you register your child for lessons, you will be asked for your child's current ski/snowboard level from level 1 (never skiied/snowboarded before) to level 9 (can negotiate black and double black runs in any terrain in any conditions).
The ability levels can be found on The Summit at Snoqualmie webpage here: https://summitatsnoqualmie.com/ability-levels
The instructors will also make adjustments to the groups on the first day of lessons.
Yes! Please list your child as level 1 (never skiied/snowboarded before).
Does my child have to be Vaccinated in order to ride the snow sports bus or to take lessons at Alpental?
No, your child does not have to be vaccinated to ride a Snow Sports bus or to take lessons at Alpental. If you do not vaccinate or do not provide proof of vaccination, you will ride with other children that have not provided proof of vaccination and with vaccinated children whose parents are comfortable with their children sitting with unvaccinated children.
My child will be vaccinated. Can my child sit on the bus with only other children who are vaccinated?
Yes, as long as you RSVP'ed by Nov. 8th with this preference! We will have a Snow Sports bus for vaccinated children whose parents are not comfortable with their children sitting with unvaccinated children. In order to be considered vaccinated, you must submit proof of vaccination here showing at least one dose by January 5th.
We are currently expecting a 1:5 instructor-to-student ratio.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org